Saturday, December 6, 2008

Tis the Season to Sew

Well it is here.



No matter what I think...I will never be able to get my Christmas sewing done before December. Most of the time I don't even know what I am going to make until November. As I have stated before, I make 1/2 of the kids gifts ( I am curious. Lets add them up. 3 kids and they get 12 gifts so that is 6 x 3 = 18 plus PJs for all so that is 5. A total of 23 hand-made gifts...not counting friends and extended family.Oh I forgot Eilish's Christmas dress and the boys' tie so a new total of 28.)and then they, the kids have to make all of their gifts and of course they need my help. One thing most people don't realize is this. If you have kids in public school, you can sew while they are in school, or if you have toddlers, while they are napping, but if you home school, the only time you can sew is while they sleep, which means no sleep for you. I try to get the kids in bed by 9pm and I will sew until 4am and then get the kids up at 8:30am for school, so when you see me, if I look tired, slur my words, do not make sense, it is not because I have been "drinking". I am just in the season of sewing.


and on a P.S note...some of you might ask why I torture myself? For me part of Christmas is about thinking, figuring out what a person really wants or need and then putting your self into that present. When I ask my kids what gift they like the most, it is always the one tailored in love.


P.P.S I love seeing my kids decide what they want to make their siblings. Last year Nephi made Brandon a Fleece zip up vest and cap. First time doing a large project like that and he did very well. Brandon made Nephi a wall hanging with different cars and trucks he painted. I was shocked. Last year they were all picking bigger projects. One year Brandon made Eilish a Jesus doll. They cherish these gifts their brothers and sister makes for them. I am praying that they are learning the true meaning of Christmas through making thoughtful gifts for each other.
Eilish's Jesus from Brandon

Brandon's vest and cap from Nephi
Nephi's wall hanging from Brandon. Just to let you know, Nephi is really into cars and trucks.


1 comment:

Rosie said...

That is awesome that your boys can sew! And what a neat idea to have them make each other gifts. I'm sure they appreciate those more then boughten ones.